The International Steam Pages
Steam in Uruguay
Marcelo Benoit, Uruguayan Railfan Association reports (February 1998, with August 1998 , October/November 1998 and March 1999 updates). Pictures of ANP 1's prolonged overhaul and its inaugural trip on 3rd June 2000 are available separately.
The current situation with steam locomotives in Uruguay is as follows (ANP = National Administration of Ports, C.E.F.U.=Railway Study Circle):
October 8th 1998, N 93 has been taken to Young and placed in a park along the railway tracks in downtown Young. (Picture from M. Pienovi 18th November 2004):
N 120 (not to be confused with 119 which now carries the number 120, one of them will have to be renumbered!) to Paso de los Toros on October 9th 1998 and later (June 2005) to Montevideo for restoration.
In October 1998 N 92 was moved from Paysandú to San José. At present the locomotive is in a city park and has been poorly repainted: (picture from Marcel Benoit):
N 88 is still at Paysandu (where N 117 - minus wheels - is also) but will be moved to Montevideo to be donated to Uruguayan Railfan Association.
N 96 has been taken to Artigas and placed in a square besides the new Bus Terminal, being it built in the former railway station. In the little square there is a little open air rail museum with different railway system stuff (updated information from M. Pienovi 7th November 2004, picture from M. Pienovi 18th November 2004):
2-6-0 N 120 (former 119, not to be confused with the original 120 now under restoration), Beyer Peacock, 1910 (out of service from 11/95), returned to service September 13th 1997 ("heritage day"). Ran two trains between Montevideo Central Station and Colón (11km), in charge of C.E.F.U. On June 13th 1998 it was transferred with S144 and V158 to Penarol Roundhouse. This is a picture taken on 26th April 2000.
The next picture shows N 120 (119) at La Paz on its last trip before going out of service again on September 5, 1998
0-6-0T A3 Black Hawthorn 1888 Plinthed at Piedra Alta workshops, Florida
0-6-0ST ANP No3, Manning Wardle, 1890. (ex number 2 of Mercado Central de Frutos del Uruguay). In charge of C.E.F.U. In service.
0-6-0ST A 42 Manning Wardle 1887 (in fact, this loco is the "1" of Mercado Central de Frutos del Uruguay, Manning Wardle, 1890, with parts of the real A 42 of 1887). Plinthed at Peñarol Diesel workshops, Montevideo.
2-8-0 S 144 Hawthorn Leslie 1921 Derelict at Lorenzo Carnelli station, later (June 1998) to Peñarol Roundhouse, (picture taken in May 2005):
0-6-0T ANP 1 (Orenstein & Koppel, 1912) being repaired from 8/97 by Uruguayan Railfan Association (A.U.A.R.). The locomotive was designated a historic national landmark on March 9th 1999 (the first such locomotive). Pictures of ANP 1's prolonged overhaul and its inaugural trip on 3rd June are available separately.
A.U.A.R. also owns 0-4-0T ANP 4 (Linke Hoffmann, 1925) and a narrow gauge (600mm) 0-8-0T 2 (Henschel, 1928, former Compañia Nacional de cemento railway). This loco will be used in a tourist railway in the west of Montevideo.
2-6-0T B4 Beyer Peacock 1889 Elias Regules country theme park, Montevideo
2-6-0T B15 Hudswell Clark 1906 Out of service - from 11/97 at Peñarol workshops in Montevideo and found dismantled over wagons there in June 1998.
2-6-0T B17 (Beyer Peacock 5394 built 1910) It was the last steam locomotive in service in Uruguay. Still in working condition was put out of service in March 2001, stored in Piedra Alta workshops and in 2002 was taken to Peñarol workshops and stored until now (updated information from M.Pienovi, 7th November 2004). It was adapted to burn Uruguayan eucalyptus wood instead of coal, as it used to do, like all the other steam locomotives owned by the Uruguayan state railways (AFE). When new all of them burned imported coal. It worked only on Fridays, moving the open freight wagons to be fixed in the workshops (100 km. far from Montevideo). This is the smallest of the three workshops owned by AFE and only open freight wagon are repaired there. This in B17 in May 2005 - it has since been moved to Bella Vista on August 19th 2005 - to Uruguayan Railfan Association. :
2-6-0 N 101 at Paso de los Toros, previously stationary boiler, to Peñarol (below) on April 26th 2006. Unknown use, apparently it will be put as display in Peñarol or other place.
2100 V 158 Henschel 1950 Derelict at Lorenzo Carnelli, later (June 1998), repainted in 2001 for 'Heritage Day', to Peñarol Roundhouse (picture taken in May 2005):
2-4-0T No11 Built at Talleres North Western Uruguay Railway, 1895. At Technology museum, Salto (never used by state railway administration -AFE- withdrawn in 1952).
Narrow gauge (600mm):
0-4-0T LVD 1 at railway museum in Montevideo Central Station, later to Peñarol (February 2003), then in 2005 to Peñarol Roundhouse (picture taken in May 2005):
0-4-0T Decauville 1A 1909 ex Indaré S.A., Boca Del Rosario. There are 25 narrow gauge steam locos at Indaré S.A., several of them dismantled, just one (OK 5835) is in service, all the others are out of use.
0-4-0T Henschel "Besozzi" 1922 ex Mina de Marmol Carrara is placed in a quarry near Colon in Montevideo. Marcelo has since told me it has probably been sold to Brazil.
0-4-0T O&K 1925 ex Northern Sand Quarry at route 1 near junction to Nueva Helvecia, said to be in poor condition in early 2005: